The purpose of the Sabbath School is to make disciples for Christ. It includes the nurture of spiritual growth in members and prospective members, as well as the unchurched who come to join in the fellowship, study, sharing and service. The Sabbath School exists not only to minister to its members, but to train those members to minister to others. The Sabbath School is a school of Christian living, not just an event on Sabbath mornings. It can include Bible study groups that meet at other times also. Its purpose is evangelistic, not ritualistic.
In Acts 2:42-47 the Bible gives us a blueprint for the Sabbath School. Verse 42 outlines the goals of the Sabbath School as “teaching and fellowship,” and “breaking bread and prayer.” Verses 43-45 illustrate the strong sense of togetherness, caring and support that must be present in the Sabbath School in order to create a proper atmosphere for learning and growth.
- Supervises overall Sabbath school program from 9:20-10:45 AM.
- Prepares a short program in sanctuary each week that is spiritually uplifting from 9:20-9:45 AM.
- Reports issues to SS council as need arises.
- Meets with Sabbath School council at the beginning of term to select new Adult Sabbath School teachers. The Council will also meet to fill any vacancies that arise during year. (MMT is not responsible for filling vacancies for Adult Sabbath School teachers.)
- Meets quarterly with all Adult and Children’s Sabbath School leaders in order to evaluate the effectiveness of their division (programs, classes, etc.).
- Plans special programs at least once per quarter on the themes of Thanksgiving, Christmas, Children SS, etc.
- Coordinates flowers for Mother’s Day, bread for Father’s Day, and one picnic in summer.
- Advises the SS secretary on orders for SS materials such as quarterlies, program helps, mission dvds, etc.
- Fills in for Children’s SS classes when necessary (Superintendent).
- Encourages nurturing of class members. They will encourage each of the class participants to provide care and support for those in their classes. Class members will be asked to write, call, or visit those who have been missing.
Background Check and Online Child Safety Training(for Superintendent):
Anyone working in Children’s ministries at Cicero Church is required to complete Shield the Vulnerable which is a background check and an online training seminar (approx. 45-60 minutes to complete) before assuming role. You may contact church office or pastoral staff to arrange for training (Superintendent only)
Appropriate Spiritual Gifts:
The Adult Sabbath School Superintendent/Assistant will need to devote at least 90 minutes per week in organizing the SS program. Superintendent will also serve on the Church Board which meets monthly.